Social media includes web-based and mobile based technologies which are used to turn communication into interactive dialogue between businesses, charities, organisations and individuals.
Regular media is usually one-way with messages being passed from one source to another, social media allows messages to be passed back and forth in a conversation.
The most popular social media websites at the moment are Facebook and Twitter with growing support for mediums such as Pinterest, Google+ and Tumblr.
Don’t just take our word for it, according to the Government’s Business Link network, business advantages of effective social media use include:
- Compelling and relevant content will grab the attention of potential customers
- Increase brand visibility
- You can respond almost instantly to industry developments and become heard in your field
- It can be much cheaper than traditional advertising and promotional activities
- Social content can indirectly boost links to website content by appearing in universal search results, improving search traffic and online sales
- You can deliver improved customer service and respond effectively to feedback
- Customers can find you through new channels, generating more leads
- Increased loyalty and advocacy from the customers you’ve connected with